Monday, November 3, 2008

3/Nov random thoughts

- October 2008 has been the warmest October in HK recorded history, with an average mean temperature of 26.5C (that is 80F as average....). Honestly, I did not need to read the official notice... I felt that the only difference vs July was much less rain and a bit less humidity.. otherwise was really ugly

- glad to see that yesterday in Seoul the 2 HK "official" representative (sent by National team) did very well for their records: Ms ADA a good PB in 2h56' and broke the 3hrs barrier. Mr Lau KM end up in 2h36' (also a PB for him), that projects him at the 2nd place of the HK ranking...
My regret is that I left Lau 1 minute behind at our last race before this marathon (the track meeting...), but I better quit regretting about what could have happened.

- lasty, it is time now to explain why I did chose Seoul and why so much regret about not running. Next month (December) I will become father again and therefore running has to take a back seat for a while. It is a great positive event that takes 100% of your life for a while...
Combined to my advancing age, I guess that yesterday might have been really my last good "shot" to a great run...
said that, I will try to do my best and if the training goes ok, I will take the line at the local HK marathon, hoping to make a decent race.
Our first daughter helped to come back to running and it was a driver to running better, now let's see what happened.
I overcome my depressing thought of quitting running for good, but I will race only if my fitness is ok and capable to fight for a good race like now.

2 comments:

Thomas said...

My youngest daughter (our 4th child) was born a year ago, and just like you I wasn't sure if I would be able to run much after that.

I did have problems, and I spent all of January in bed with a serious illness, but once I recovered I got stronger as the year went on, and had my best running year to date.

There is no reason why your competitive days should be over, and you can still enjoy and support your family at the same time.

by7 said...

Thomas, you are the "world champion" of running fathers... 4 children, I do not know how you do it (honestly, great kudos to your wife, she sound decently tolerant about your running bug)
I am still impressed how fast you recovered from that Pneumonia in January ...

my only concern is that age is advancing and I foud more and more difficult to run these long and hard workouts