Friday, May 16, 2008

Resuming

this post is more a kind of self-encouragement, because as a runner I am a bit at the low end of motivation right now.

Yesterday I resume running after 15 days of further stops. I really wanted the injury at the leg to get settled once for all and now everything seems OK, even if I would maybe need some more physiotherapy and massage to relax the muscles further.

In front of me I have 3 months without races (the HK running season is over because of the heat), temperature already around 30C/90F and the need to restore a good aerobic base after 2 months of poor/no training.
So it looks pretty daunting perspective: since I live in China (8 years) I struggled a lot to go through the summer season. I can not stand the heat and humidity.
Basically for many years I simply did not run at all for 4 months at least, preferring instead cycling and swimming. Last year I did managed to run maybe 40/50km weekly and it did give much better results once the running season resumed.
This year I really want to run around 70/90km weekly during Summer, in order to have a much better starting fitness once I can resume the real training in September/October.
Readers are authorized to scold me whenever I fails to reach the 70k weekly target

By the way, for the leg injury I got some good benefit from KinesioTaping, practiced by a good physiotherapist in Poland (Dr Andrzej K. in Rybnik).
Look at the job done on my leg (called cross taping) (the different colors were only to give some "visual effect").
The tapes are a Japanese stuff produced by Nitto Denko. European website is www.k-active.com with Online sales in preparation.

2 comments:

RICK'S RUNNING said...

IT SEEM A GREAT SHAME THAT YOU KEEP GETTING INJURIES. THERE IS ALWAYS A REASON FOR IT TO HAPPEN , MOST TIMES POOR RUNNING STYLE IS TO BLAME.
I HAVE KNOW BEEN PRACTICING DANNY DREYER'S CHI RUNNING FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS AND AM VERY IMPRESSED WITH THE RESULTS, I FINISHED 11TH AND 1ST IN MY AGE GROUP IN A MARATHON AT THE END OF APRIL AND WAS ABLE TO RUN THE NEXT DAY WITH VERY FEW ACHES OR PAINS. IN THE PAST I COULD NOT RUN FOR DAYS AFTER A MARATHON, BECAUSE OF VERY SORE MUSCLES.
CHI RUNNING IS AWESOME, IT MAY SOUND WEIRD, NOT IT WORKS!
HAPPY RUNNING

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the leg. Patience is key. It's much easier to take the time off and get healed than to have continuous setbacks after coming back too quickly. Get well, and take care!