Thursday, November 29, 2007

"weird" feeling

I do not know if other marathon runners had the same feeling before their marathons, but I feel basically "numb".
I am tapering 20/30% off from my peak, 3 weeks ago I set my lifetime PB on 10k, no more heavy workouts in the past 10 days : I would have supposed to feel pretty energetic and in "runner's high" .... no, I feel like: legs like stones, I would rather sleep 24hr and I do not see myself running for 2h3x' in 3 days ...
possible explanation:
- typical "pre-race" nerves ...
- mental and hormonal build-up: I can guess that the body "knows" that Sunday will be a great battle so it is storing energy for that day
- I am in physical burn-out already

What I feel at the same time daunting and fascinating about the marathon:
- actually have to run the first 30km before knowing the answer about your true form
- it is a "one-shot" race, no second attempt (for some months) if something goes wrong

Running a fast marathon is probably one of the hardest mental and physical efforts for the human being ...

3 comments:

MB said...

How many marathons have you run?

Your post reads a bit apprehensive.

Maybe, get a light massage to relax a little.

by7 said...

well, in my 2nd running life (years 1995 to 99), I run around 7/8 marathons.
In the 3rd era (2005 to now), it is my third ...
I am just very much concerned about the pain in my right buttock. It is still there when I push the pace or make some stride. On race day I will take 150mg Voltaren pills and run with some spare pills in case the pain comes out strong.

Mike said...

Just wanted to wish you a good marathon this weekend. I hope the pain quits and that you have your day. You've done the training, so all that's left is staying relaxed, staying positive and minimizing any mistakes out there. I'm hoping for sub-2:40 for you.